Thursday, November 10, 2011

Breaking Down the High Places

"And the LORD said unto Jehu, Because thou hast done well in executing that which is right in mine eyes, and hast done unto the house of Ahab according to all that was in mine heart, thy children of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel. But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the LORD God of Israel with all his heart: for he departed not from the sins of Jeroboam, which made Israel to sin." 2 Kings 10:30-31

Jehu started well. He set out to do the LORD's work and sought to exterminate Baal worship that pervaded Israel during Ahab's time. He was on such a spiritual roll that one might have thought, "At long last: a righteous king in the northern kingdom!" But it was not to be, for he sinned after the sins of Jeroboam. Jehu might have turned away from worshiping Baal but he did not turn to worshiping the One True God. Instead, he bowed his knee to worship the very golden calves that Jeroboam set on the high places of Bethel and Dan... What was he thinking? How could he have gone astray so quickly?... But then, what am I thinking? I should not be one to cast stones. I have my own high places that I turn to in moments that I now recognize, are born out of my own discontentment with God -- housing little idols that turn away my heart from seeking satisfaction in the God, Who alone can satisfy my every need. And every time I willfully turn away from Him, I offer a sacrifice on the altar of my own sinful desires. If it were not for the goodness of the Lord Jesus that leads me to repentance (Romans 2:4) and His unending love that covers a multitude of my sins (1 Peter 4:8), I neither know who nor where I would be.

LORD, as the song says, "Help me break down the high place once reserved for you. Help me rebuild my altar and worship You anew. Help me cast down all thoughts that exalt above Your own. Help me listen for Your sweet voice so Your Will is always known."

No comments:

Post a Comment